Thursday, November 3, 2011

Another Drunken Political Comment on BoingBoing

Thread I'm responding to here. Sometimes you just need to let go.

The gist of the post is that Obama has the same set of policies as Bush jr.

"
It's so cute when BoingBoing commenters (or posters for that matter) think they understand politics at all! It's like they've never sat down and read a single book about the powers of the POTUS, or put a single news article in context in the last forever!

Serious people, grow up. No Obama isn't a gorram panacea. Yes he's light-years better than Bush. Honestly McCain would have been light-years better than Bush, but who's counting. It really boils down to this; people like
heavystarch
can bitch all they want; their critiques are in most ways entirely justified. But the change that they would require before supporting a given president would require a Jesus+ Mohammed^Moses level of miraculous paradigm change, pure and simple. I'll just use one example because it's the most egregrious: the deficit. Due to demographics (people becoming old) and rising medical costs (free market + the best medicine money can buy = $$$$$$$) we are going to be hugely in debt. We wouldn't have had this problem for another decade if SOMEONE HADN"T STARTED TWO UNNECESSARY WARS. No Libya doesn't count; it was under half a percent of either war so stfu. Libya, in fact, is a beautiful example of how you /can/ run foreign intervention well; in the most obvious of circumstances with lots of allies + international support + limited engagement + clear victory path. I didn't support it at first, but hey so far the damn thing is going well, although you wouldn't know it from the tin-foil-wearing libertarian parrots around here.

ANYWAY I'm rambling. The deficit is massive, and there's no possible way to fix it without A) large cuts in entitlements (medicare, ss, etc) which are incredibly political unpopular and therefor cannot be done without broad bipartisan agreement since anyone doing so unilaterally will be crucified by the resulting attack ads B) cut almost ALL discretionary spending which would very literally cause a much worse depression C) Raise taxes which last time I checked the vast majority of the house (read: the psychotic f#*%ing republicans) has vowed on pain of death not to raise or D) some combination of the above developed by massive political compromise that has to happen in CONGRESS and not, has, the PRESIDENCY which last time I checked was the post Obama has, instead of a super-majority in congress which would be necessary to fix this bs.

TL;DR Obama has been a very successful president from any of the following view points; conservative, liberal, pragmatic, sensible, responsible, reasonable, not-wanting-things-to-fucking-explode-ist. Feel free to tell me how I'm wrong and I will show you the same courtesy.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment