Wednesday, December 5, 2012

No Country for Obstructionist Men

Image from Andrew Sullivan (Marry me!). His coloring, the Washpo's graph.


The GOP can suck it.

As surprising as it is, I think a good number of Americans are catching on to the Republican strategy of 2001 to current:

  • If Obama wants to avoid the (fiscal-cliff / expiration of Bush tax-cuts / debt ceiling), he has to compromise.  
  • If Obama wants to compromise, he has to offer his suggestions in public, so we can savage him for the inevitable hard decisions.  
  • If Obama wants more revenues, he has to cut everything we want.
  • If Obama wants more revenues, they have to be balanced by tax-cuts in other areas we want.
  • If we don't get these things, we will not compromise, except in a way that is barely compromising.  We will only call this "bi-partisanship", and not compromise, because that way we can dupe independents while being able to claim victory on Fox news.
  • We will not compromise in any way that exposes us to attacks from our batshit-insane radical base.
  • If anything breaks, it's Obama's fault.
  • If it's not Obama's fault, it's mostly Obama's fault.
  • If it's definitely not Obama's fault, it's Obama's fault because he's made politics too partisan.

This strategy, though nihilistic and somewhat evil (malicious, Machiavellian, mommy-he-hit-me whatever you want to call it), has been working pretty well up through the election.  During a severe recession, throwing a stick in any of the fixes the administration proposed worked pretty well; the economy probably didn't recover as fast, and all that low-information, undecided voters see is partisan hair-pulling.  Rinse and repeat, and you can portray the President as a dead-beat, clueless guy who is Out Of Ideas (no, I don't think they know what that phrase actually means either).

Eventually though, the GOP was bound to run up against a situation like the present, where the ball is in their court and if something isn't done, it will Republican asse(t)s on the line.

But they have a problem: over the last four (or more) years they've steadily built up a base that won't accept compromise.  Fox news has drilled its viewers for years that America(tm) is a land of moral infallibility unless the liberals take charge.  It is also a country of True Conservatives(also tm), who cannot lose elections unless they are not conservative enough.  In this world, ACORN hasn't been dissolved, it helped Obama steal the election.  In Foxland, the only way to save the America that has been besieged by socialists, is to leave it.  In this type of world, it doesn't make any sense for the GOP to compromise with Obama.  Perhaps Tea Party republicans would stomach a compromise to to avoid the fiscal cliff in theory, but in practice it would involve letting the Bush tax cuts expire on the rich, cutting defense spending, and cutting social entitlements that most Republicans actually like, Social Security and Medicare chief among them.

The citizens of Foxland (or 'Foxians' as I will now refer to them) don't want a messy legislative battle.  They don't want to see the GOP compromising, or cutting popular programs, or raising revenues in any way, shape or form.  They want to see Obama crushed, and the Great Liberal Menace pushed back.

Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like helping the country.  They can't be bullied, reasoned, or negotiations.

Yes I'm using hyperbole.  Get over it.  -tryingsense
.




1 comment:

  1. Great piece. I enjoyed your snarkiness, and wit. You make several assumptions that I disagree with, and have personally observed to be... embellishments (if that is a word). First you do the customary, lumping together of all Republicans. Which, I presume, you dislike when it is done for all liberals, by conservatives. (Btw, I cant believe your graph did not have a line for blaming former President Bush, but, I digress)

    I am looking for the sticks that were thrown into fixes the administration proposed from 2007 through 2010, and I cant seem to find any that were stopped by Republicans. I know President Obama did not take office until 2009, but, he was a Senator, and part of the majority party when Tarp was approved, so, I include him in that "fix". Health care reform, certainly hasn't fixed skyrocketing insurance costs as it was promised. In fact, those costs seem to be trending in the same direction, and possibly, more rapidly. Unemployment has not moved down, it is significantly higher, even with all of the attempts to jockey the actual numbers to appear a more tolerable rate.

    My final point, (if there is any) is that the problem with the Republican party is that their reputation, does not fit reality. "Republicans are the rich white business men's party", is a joke to me. While some of them may be rich, white, and businessmen, very few of them possess the skills needed to be great business negotiators. Any good business man or woman can tell you that the technique of using a number that is already in your opponents, acceptable range, as a starting point to begin negotiations, is bush league. Also the use of Revenue amounts (which are projected numbers, computed statically) vs. calling it a tax rate debate, confuses the issue. They should be talking rates, not revenues. Rates are specific, and are the numbers that companies must have to compute their projected business plans. Solidify (and in my opinion, lower all) the rates, and you put businesses at ease to expand and hire. Keep those rates in question by micromanaging the economy, and business people will be less inclined to take risks.

    With all of that, I did enjoy your blog, and I will search you out in the future.

    ReplyDelete